When you join a team coming to Guatemala to serve, we want you to know that your service touches many lives, and it touches our hearts. Houses get built, wells are dug, children are rescued. It’s all part of a beautiful plan for short-term missionaries to participate in directly helping the needy, showing love. You are being the hands and feet of Jesus.
Maybe this will be your first time in the third world and the idea of being in place so different has you thinking. Have no doubts, God has called you to bless the less fortunate, and he will bless you for it. Proverbs 19:17 tells us “Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.”
Providing for the Orphan
As you plan your trip, we ask that you help the children of Hope of Life by prayerfully fundraising as a team. The cost to provide for one child at Hope of Life, like Andy, is $200 per month. This meets all the needs this precious child has so that he can not only thrive. This provides the food, water, clothing, shelter, education, and medical care this little boy needs, in an environment where he can grow safely. Over 100 children like Andy are growing up here at Safe Haven Village at Hope of Life, in the best care possible. It’s a much different story than where many of these boys and girls came from. Abuse, neglect, and abandon have scarred so many of the children of Guatemala. But together we are changing children’s lives for the better.
God is On Your Side
There are many ideas for fundraising for you and your team. Here are a few. Please pray and follow through to see just how God will use you. Don’t be surprised if He pours out abundantly. After all He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, and “For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.” 2Chro 16:9
- Set a fundraising goal amount. For example, your team could shoot for meeting the needs for 10, 20, 30 or more children for a month.
- As a team, pray and brainstorm for the best fundraising activity or activities you can work on.
- Trust God to help you.
- Divide up the work among the team, set deadlines
- Share your activity with everyone you know
- Organize a dinner and dance. Ask friends and family to come, get your church on-board. Network to find vendors who will offer their services (chef/venue/d.j. etc). Be creative!
- Make jars of cookie mixes and sell them. Include the Safe Haven logo downloadable here.
- Have a big yardsale with a sign and photos of the mission you are supporting
- Sell some things you don’t need anymore
- Invite some close friends to lunch and ask them to help meet your fundraising goal
- Set up a jar for donations
- Host an info table at church to encourage people to join mission team
- Do some cookouts
- Make and sell cookbooks
- Sell cupcakes
- Have a chili cook-off
- Own a vacation home? Raffle a week
- Silent auctions (you may find local stores who will donate items for your auction, etc
- Friends may also have some items they will want to contribute
- Have a raffle
- Host a concert
Keep it Real
Keep it real. Share your experiences from the mission field. If you haven’t been to Guatemala yet, ask a friend who has been here before to share at an event. This is all about providing for the orphaned child. As James 1:27 says, this is pure religion. You can never feel bad about helping an orphaned child. In fact, God wants us to advocate for them! Read Isaiah 58:6-8.
We ask that you do some fundraising before you come to Guatemala, and some after. Take photographs, and video of your mission trip, you will doubtless want to share these with others.
How to Receive Donations
Unless you are a church or other non-profit organization already established, Donors can give online with a credit card or by mailing a total to Hope of Life. When mailing your fundraised amount please earmark it for “Safe Haven Village”. For large donations we suggest mailing a check rather than giving online. Hope of Life International is a 501 (c)3 non-profit organization.